Description du cours
Intitulé de l'Unité d'Enseignement
Topics in Economics and Environment
Code de l'Unité d'Enseignement
2021 - 2022
Nombre de crédits
Objectifs et contribution de l'Unité d'Enseignement au programme
The course aims at:
- Developing future managers' understanding of the multidirectional and complex relationships between economic systems and socio-ecological systems;
- Providing students with facts, concepts, theories and analytical tools that help analyse these relationships;
- Increasing awareness and understanding of what these relationships mean in terms of business management in the 21st century.
Prérequis et corequis
Description du contenu
The following topics will be addressed:
- The place and significance of environmental issues in economic theories
- The impacts of economic activity on ecosystems and their theoretical framing
- The constraints that evolving ecosystems place on economic growth
- The diverse ways of conceptualising and measuring sustainability at the global and national levels, as well as at the level of individual firms
- Why and how valuing the environment, in monetary terms or otherwise?
- Environmental policies and their effects on firms
The class is meant to be interactive and participative.
Classroom teaching will alternate with interactive sessions (Q&A, group discussion, quizzes...).
Reading research papers is an integral part of the course as a way of fueling enlightened debates.
Assessment will take the form of an on site written exam (multiple choice questions + open questions).
All course slides, papers and useful links to be found on Moodle.
Harris, J.M., Roach, B., (2013), Environmental and Natural Resource Economics. A Contemporary Approach, Routledge.
O'Neill et al., (2018), A good life for all within planetary boundaries, Nature Sustainability, vol. 1, p. 88-95.
Raworth, K., (2018), Doughnut Economics: Seven Ways to Think Like a 21st-Century Economist, Random House.
Ropke et al., (2017), Ecological Economics, Aalborg University (free e-book).
Sommer, A., (2012), Managing Green Business Model Transformations, Springer.