Description du cours
Intitulé de l'Unité d'Enseignement
Management, Marketing and Methodology Seminar
Code de l'Unité d'Enseignement
2020 - 2021
Nombre de crédits
Objectifs et contribution de l'Unité d'Enseignement au programme
-Acquiring general disciplinary knowledge and the tools for professional activities related to management. Students will have to contextualize and reproduce knowledge (in management and marketing) in a given situation. The confrontation of this theoretical knowledge with the reality of a company is part of the approach of the Management, Marketing and Methodology Seminar.
- Raising awareness of the complexity and importance of developing a critical attitude towards management methods, questioning and assessing the relevance and reliability of the sources used.
Prérequis et corequis
Participation in the management course , the marketing course, or the seminar requires no prior knowledge. A good command of English (being comfortable with a B2 level) and basic skills in terms of summarizing and synthesizing are highly recommended.
Description du contenu
- Management: This first course is an introduction based on the foundations of management and its perspective in terms of organization, operation and performance of the company.
- Marketing: The course will essentially aim at introducing and explaining the notions and logic of marketing. It will illustrates them with practical examples of various companies and setting them in a context in which the notions of companies, markets and consumers stand out.
- Management, Marketing & Methodology Seminar: Students will work in teams on an issue related to management or marketing. Following the steps of the scientific approach, they will confront theory with practice.
- Ex cathedra courses in Management and Marketing
- Teamwork for the Management, Marketing and Methodology Seminar, supervised and coached by the teachers.
- Management Course: Weekly individual multiple choice questions & group assignment (in groups of 5 students).
- Marketing Course: Continuous evaluation (25%) + Written exam MCQ (75%), lasting a maximum of 2 hours, done with a closed book. The exam may take place online or at the ICHEC, depending on the circumstances.
- Management, Marketing and Methodology Seminar: The summative evaluation deals with the work carried out in class throughout the seminar, the research paper and an oral defense. The oral defense will be organized during the last session of the seminar; it may take place online on Teams or at Ichec, depending on the circumstances. The attendance of each team member is required.
Students will refer to the following course material:
Course slides posted on Moodle.
Kotler, Armstrong, Harris & He (2019). Principles of Marketing, 8th European Edition. Pearson Education. (English version)
Lussier, R. N. (2020). Management fundamentals: Concepts, applications, and skill development. SAGE Publications.
Paquet, G., Schrooten, V. et Wattier, S. (2019). Séminaire de méthodologie et d’initiation à la démarche scientifique. Syllabus. ICHEC, Bruxelles (available on Moodle)
Robbins, S., DeCenzo, D., Coulter, M. et Rüling, CC. (2017). Management: l’essentiel des concepts et des pratiques. Paris: Pearson. (French version)
Robbins, S., Coulter, M. (2018). Management. Harlow: Pearson. (English version)