Description du cours
Intitulé de l'Unité d'Enseignement
Business Ethics and Sustainability
Code de l'Unité d'Enseignement
2022 - 2023
Nombre de crédits
Objectifs et contribution de l'Unité d'Enseignement au programme
There are two AA for this course:
(1) 22SH020 – A – Business ethics and Sustainability (60%)
(2) 22SH020 – B – Sustainability Challenge (40%)
Three main objectives are linked to this course:
- Develop future managers’ ability to identify and cope with ethical dilemmas. Implement their ethical choices accurately and concisely, while being aware of the objections to their decisions that could arise.
- Develop an understanding of and a critical approach to Sustainability. Understand the semantic and operational ambiguities inherent in the concept and the diversity of its tools, without being naive and/or cynical
- Develop your understanding of the forthcoming deep changes linked with issues at the global and local scale such as climate breakdown, biodiversity loss or the rise of social inequalities and trigger meaningful actions for adaptation and mitigation
- During the Sustainability Challenge, the student will learn to be a responsible actor by developing the ability to act
Prérequis et corequis
Description du contenu
General introduction: ethics and the challenges of our times
- Defining ethics, ethical issues and ethical decision making
- Sustainability: critical perspective and system approach. Deeo adaptation
- Sustainable economic models. Sustainability oriented innovations. Grassroot innovations. The 5Ps of Sustainability
The oral lessons are dedicated to ex-cathedra presentations, case studies, group work, experts’ conferences and testimony of professionals. It is strongly advisable to take an active part in the course to work actively with your group, benefit from a concrete approach through illustrations and examples developed during the course. These illustrations will not necessarily be included in the documents distributed.
The Sustainability Challenge will take place in May, 25-28, 2021. Student groups will develop and defend viable solutions to societal issues presented by organizations (business, non-profit organizations, social enterprises, etc.). Teaching method: 3 or 4-day seminar in the end of May - design sprint - agile method and lean startup - team work - mix of plenary sessions, coaching and group work in/out situs or online if there is a health crisis
Discussion and active participation will be very important in this course It's only through sharing and confronting opinions and ideas that you can forge your own values and convictions and develop knowledge in this field. The participation will thus be fully part of the final evaluation.
Dynamo (available on moodle) will be used as a self-assessement tool to help the teams in the active participation of each in the work. Each group member has to complete the dynamo assessement tool twice during the semester. This activity is mandatory to hand in the group work.
The student is considered as an independent, self-organised learner. We expect every student to prepare the readings and homeworks in order to be able to contribute as actively as he/she can to the discussions in class. Moreover, students’ acquisition of knowledge will be assessed using an individual written exam. Finally, students will apply the acquired knowledge in the context of a group project or an individual case study.
There are two AA linked to this course, for each of them there is a specific assessment of your work:
(1) Business ethics and Sustainability: theory (60%)
First session (January 2023)
1. Individual (20%)
Portfolio with specific assignments (10%)
Participation in group work and discussion (10%) see below
2. Teamwork (40%)
The work is divided in two parts: a written document (30%), an oral presentation (10%).
Detailed instructions concerning the deadlines as well as the work content will be presented in the first lecture and available on the Moodle website of the course.
Second session (August 2023)
Student can keep their grade for the individual assignments. If the assignments for the individual portfolio were not completed, you will need to hand in the three assignments for the first day of the exam session (mid-August 2023) (10%)
Individual work to be hand in the first day of the exam session (mid-August 2023) with the same instructions as the teamwork. Please contact email@example.com at the end of June 2023 to know the subject of your work. (50%)
(2) Sustainability Challenge: seminar (40%)
Type of assessment: Intermediate deliverables by group, attendance, and participation, pitching of the final solution in front of a jury of experts and communication exercise in 90 sec.
Second session (August 2023)
Individual work. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions.
No manual for this lecture but specific articles and references (see moodle website for details)