Description du cours
Intitulé de l'Unité d'Enseignement
Corporate Strategy (Theory)
Code de l'Unité d'Enseignement
2022 - 2023
Nombre de crédits
Objectifs et contribution de l'Unité d'Enseignement au programme
The course helps students to master the concepts and main analytical tools for strategic management. It covers the steps for an external and internal diagostic of the firm, the definition and implementation of strategy. In doing so, it allows students to understand how strategic decisions are taken in a responsible management perspective.
- LO1: Master the vocabulary and concepts related to strategic thinking
- LO2: Understand the components of strategic analysis in a company, and their interconnexion;
- LO3: Know the key authors and management tools supporting strategy development;
- LO4: Select and apply a strategic framework on a given corporate situation;
- LO5: Develop a critical mindset related to strategic analysis.
Prérequis et corequis
This course is accessible to students who have followed the basic training in management, economy, law or
social sciences expected at the end of the Bachelor degree in public or business management or economics.
A level in English sufficient for an active participation and understanding is required.
Business level reading and writing skills in English are necessary to successfully meet requirements.
Description du contenu
Capacity to understand strategic context and firm position in its industry, its markets and the macro
environment through research applying rigorous methodologies
Ability to identify the potential strategic choices available to the firm and the impact on its future
Ability to integrate strategic knowledge and thinking in management decision or connect strategy with recent business books.
The course is based on multiple interactions with the students:
- Class room presentation: up to 24 hours of class room presentation are dedicated to the comprehensive review of the fundamentals of strategy, illustrated with case studies and current business
- Management Conferences: integrated in the class room program, up to 5 conferences by CEOs sharing their management experience in the three dimension of strategy: analysis, decision, and action.
- Individual Reading and Research: selected articles or studies are provided to broaden and deepen the
knowledge and critical views of students, a list of recommended business and management reading is provided each year.
- Essay and/or case study (tbc)
- Optional (tbc): Team management cases resolution: participation to the Brussels Management Challenge three management cases: Supply chain & IoT; Big Data Analytics & Blue Ocean Strategy; Technology start up
venturing and delivering case resolution in team.
Students’ assessment will be based on:
- Individual exam on the articles (for LO1, LO2, LO3)
- Writing a business case and/or essay (for LO4)
- Class participation and group debates (for LO5)
Gerry Johnson, Richard Whittington, Kevan Scholes, Duncan Angwin & Patrick Regnér:
Exploring Strategy - Text & Cases - 10th edition
FT Prentice Hall, Pearson Publishing, 2014 ISBN 978-1-292-00254-5